Pages

Tuesday 28 May 2019

Making Indicators

Aim: To make acid-base indicators using everyday substances. Method for Beetroot 1. Chop The beetroot into small pieces until you have enough to fill 2 cubs 2. Place beetroot in a large beaker and add water to cover it 3. Boil over a Bunsen burner for at least ten min for colour out of the cabbage 4. Filter out the plant material to obtain a red-purple-bluish coloured liquid. This liquid is at about pH 7 5. Place in a small beaker and leave to one side Equipment: Beetroot, a beaker, water, tripod, Bunsen burner, Gansen mat, Results Acid Base Beetroot Yellow Yellow Cabbage Red, pink Green Tea Yellow Yellow Tumeric Yellow Red Cranberry Yellow Green Discussion: We went through the process of adding different chemicals to our everyday substance indicators and each chemical changed to show us if it was a strong base, weak base or strong acid and weak acid by colour changing. Conclusion: We made our indicators to show what chemicals are acids and bases. I think that beetroot worked better.

No comments:

Post a Comment

To support my learning I ask you to comment as follows:
1. Something positive - something you like about what I have shared.
2. Thoughtful - A sentence to let us know you actually read/watched or listened to what I had to say
3. Something thoughtful - how have you connected with my learning? Give me some ideas for next time or ask me a question.

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.