Pages

Tuesday 26 March 2019

DNA extraction (Science)




Aim -
-Our aim is to successfully extract DNA from the Kiwi Fruit

Method -
-Using Spatula, Scoop, 1/2 kiwifruit into and bag. Add 25ml Water + a pinch of salt
-Mush until a thick soup
-Pour over cloth into funnel into beaker.
-Pour liquid into test tube. Add dish washing liquid + swirl. Allow to sit for 5 mins.
-Tilt test tube on liquid on 45 degree angle and slowly pour 10ml of ethanol down the side.
-Allow to sit.

Results-
- When we add ethanol it started to separate it.



Discussion-
-Water helped break kiwifruit apart.
-Salt help climb the DNA
-Ethanol helped to see it as it sits on top



Conclusion- We successfully extracted DNA from the kiwi fruit



Pictures-





No comments:

Post a Comment

To support my learning I ask you to comment as follows:
1. Something positive - something you like about what I have shared.
2. Thoughtful - A sentence to let us know you actually read/watched or listened to what I had to say
3. Something thoughtful - how have you connected with my learning? Give me some ideas for next time or ask me a question.

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.